1 I want to express myself on the field now: Jacques Kallis ~ "TAKE NO AS A QUESTION "

Tuesday 4 February 2014

I want to express myself on the field now: Jacques Kallis


I want to express myself on the field now: Jacques Kallis


I want to express myself on the field now: Jacques Kallis
All through his illustrious career, Jacques Kallis has been a man of few words, letting his cricket do the talking. (AFP Photo)

Jacques Kallis, for many the greatest cricketer of the modern era, and one of the greatest allrounders ever, surprised his fans by retiring from Test cricket after the series against India last December.

He went out with a bang, scoring his 45th Test century in his final knock as South Africa wrapped up the series. All through his illustrious career, Kallis has been a man of few words, letting his cricket do the talking. The legend from Cape Town, however, opened up in an email interview with TOI, the first to an Indian publication since his Test retirement. Read on...

Jacques, now that you have played your last Test and spent some time relaxing, how do you look back at yourremarkable career?

I was amazed how quickly the years went by. I really enjoyed my Test career. I feel proud of my achievements and that I was able to assist South Africa in becoming the No. 1 Test-playing team in the world.

While you have enjoyed great success in one-day cricket and have also excelled in the T20 format, your greatest feats have probably been as a Test cricketer. Why did you decide to retire from Tests and not limited-overs cricket?

Playing Tests really takes it out of you, both physically and mentally. The ODI setup is a different sort of pressure. I want to go out and express myself now on the field. Retiring from Tests gives me that freedom. Everything I do now is to improve my skills in the one-day format.

Many feel that without you, South Africa will find it a bit tough to deal with the upbeat Australians in the series coming up shortly...

I think it will be a tough series for both teams. It is difficult to answer the question. I hope that South Africa do really well without me and beat the Aussies.

You played your last Test against India. What are your views about the Indian bowling attack?

The Indian bowling attack is not bad. I feel that sometimes away from home they battle with what length to bowl. I also feel maybe they should have included someone with real pace in South Africa rather than relying just on swing.

You have played a lot of cricket in India. How has been the experience?

India is a fascinating place to tour. The conditions are very different to anywhere else in the world. The passion of the people is amazing. They just love the game and their players. I really feel that the Indian team feeds off the energy of the people. That's why their record is so good at home.

Can you tell us something about the Jacques Kallis Scholarship Foundation?

The game of cricket has been good to me. I have met amazing people both on and off the field. When I was awarded a benefit year in 2005 I decided that I wanted to give back something to the game and my country. I, therefore, used the money I raised in the year to start the JK Scholarship Foundation. It's main objective is to fund underprivileged young people in South Africa through what we call Model C schools in South Africa. We wanted to firstly give them a proper education and secondly try and provide as best as possible cricket coaching. It has given me great pleasure in seeing young boys arrive and grow into grown men when they leave. Some have progressed from a cricketing point of view and others have been given a chance because of the education in a world that is cut-throat.

What part of the game you personally enjoy the most?

I enjoy batting the most.

How much of your success would you credit to talent and how much of it to hard work and training?

Difficult question. I don't think you can get to the top with no talent. But you do have to put in the long hours as well. It is possibly a combo of the two.

Which bowler has troubled you the most?

Difficult question again as you play on so many surfaces. A spinner would trouble you on a turning wicket and a seamer on a green top. Probably Shane Warne on a turning track andWasim Akram on a seaming wicket.

You seemed to be quite intense while playing. How did you maintain such intensity and focus over such a long period? Did you go for some specific mental exercise?

I always prepare well mentally. It is something I taught myself and then it became a habit over time.

Would you like to be connected with cricket in any way after your playing days?

Definitely in some way.

Many experts and fellow players say Jacques Kallis is the greatest allrounder ever, or the greatest of the modern era. How do you react to such high praise?

Very happy to be included in a list of great allrounders.

Has the advent of T20 cricket helped cricket in any way?

I think so. It has helped improve the skills of players, especially batsmen.

What is the one quality, according to you, which marks out a great player from the rest?

Mental toughness and technique
.


Hi guys If u like this post please leave a comment in comment box... comment box will top right of every post and bottom of every post. its useful for me give a better information.. check top of the blog there is menu bar in that go to comments i replied for u r comments because there is no direct option for reply for u r comments. if u want to give any suggestion in bottom of blog there is contact information option please leave a msgs with u r mail id sure i will get u.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

HTML Comment Box is loading comments...
MARUTHU Copyright@2014. Powered by Blogger.